Sunday, November 29, 2009

Wrong Turn Gave Me My First 5K for W8D2!

My folks were not too surprised about my wrong turn but they were shocked by the 5K (sounds so much more official than 3.1 miles!). Let's just say I don't have the best reputation when it comes to directions. It did not help when years ago, pulling out of the driveway on my way to San Diego, I had to stop and gesture my sister to come to the window to ask: "How do I get to the 405 FWY?" The 405 is a major freeway in SoCal and I drive on it almost everyday but heading north. I don't often have to go on the 405S so was not sure where to get on the south 405. My family shook their heads and wondered how I ever made the road trip from Wisconsin to California on my own during vet school years.

Well, I mapped out the 2.75 mi run for my Week 8, Day 2 run of the Couch to 5K. The first part was up-down the streets of our neighborhood. In the dark, I missed the turn and did not do part of that run. I knew that would make me short on the 2.75 mi and spent part of the run thinking about how to make that up. I contemplated just making it a short run but after yesterday failed run (it stopped drizzling after I got home yesterday but I decided not to go back out), I didn't want another no-go on the record. So when I took the last turn of the mapped run and still have some oomph left in me, I passed the turn towards home and made another loop around the block.

The Tech 4o watch said I ran 3.144 miles but I wasn't sure how accurate that was since I'm still fine tuning the setting. Well, I just re-mapped the run on RunningAhead and it was 3.13 miles! Woo Hoo! My first 5K!

I ran the whole distance; no walking. The first mile was fine, not great but I wasn't struggling. The second mile gave me some problems as that was up a gradual slope but I still managed to keep the same (slow) pace. Then heading into the third mile, my breathing got easier and my legs were turning over without me having to think about it too much. I was able to work on increasing my stride length again. I must have kept it at 35 inches since the Tech 4o was almost right on with the mileage.

Time: 37.15
Distance: 3.144 mi
Steps: 5101
Pace: 5.04 mph (11.55 min / mi)
Min HR: 80 bpm
Ave HR: 161 bpm (89% MHR)
Max HR: 170 bpm (94% MHR)

Part of me want to keep doing the 3.1 miles for W8D3 but I think I'll stick with the planned 2.75 miles and maybe try to pick up the pace a little. I think I've been taking too short of a stride while running -- the running stride is barely 3-4 inches longer than my walking stride. Either that or my walking stride of 31 inches is too long :) Plus, I can always work to improve the running cadence. I think I'm currently running at about 136; maybe I can try for 140 with the metronome (which has been gathering dust on the desk).

It was a great night to run. Cool but still comfortable in my sport bra and tank top. Yeah, I still wear cotton tanks. I just have not feel the need to spend money on running tees and shorts/pants yet. It's still about 3 days 'til full moon but it looked full to me. Yesterday's "rain" and wind gave us a crisp clear sky.

I still can't believe I ran 5K. It was barely 2 months ago, on Oct. 1 when I started the intervals of running for 45 seconds and walking for 2 minutes, repeat 4 times. And I huffed and puffed through that first day. Wow. I hope I don't lose this I-can-do-anything-I-set-my-mind-to-do feeling. More importantly, I hope that months later when I get upset at myself for not making good time on a 10K, I can look back and remember how exciting running is and how far I've come. Remember future-self, winning is not only determined by how fast or how far you ran. You have already won the moment you lace up and head out.

Pinch myself!

Mom is so sweet. She wants to know how she was going to keep up with me tomorrow :) We plan to do our Mother-Daughter Walk tomorrow morning. Hope sis will be able to make it this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment