Thursday, November 19, 2009

C25K W7D1 - Maiden Outdoor Run

I tried out a couple of different running sites to track the miles: DailyMile, MapMyRun, and RunningAhead. Briefly tried DailyMile but the widget was quite large so I went with RunningAhead; I like the simpler look. Used the mapping feature to determine the distance for my first 25 minute run for W7D1.

It was a 2.5 mi course. Took me 32 minutes but I ran it non-stop; slowed down for less than a minute midway through but did not walk. I still can't believe it. My calves are slightly sore --- probably since this was the first time I ran on concrete (sidewalk) -- but not painful. And my knees are fine. I still don't feel like a runner yet but not feeling as out of place as before.

One good thing about the mapped distance is I was able to fine tune the Tech 4o watch; corrected the stride length calculation today. Based on the number of steps taken in 2.5 miles, my running stride length was only 31 inches. I had previously thought it was 36 inches.

I'll continue to fine tune the setting as I do more runs with known distance.

Thoughts passing through my mind during today's run:
  1. This is not bad.
  2. (about 5 min into the run) Shoot, I forgot to start the watch to record the session.
  3. Hope the red flashing lights on my armband are visible to the traffic.
  4. Why can't I see the flashing lights on my arm in my shadow? Are the lights working?
  5. One inhale for each footfall or one set of inhale & exhale for each footfall?
  6. Am I going too fast? Is that why I'm out of breath?
  7. Is this how loud I breathe while running? Never knew that since I've always has earbuds on at the gym track or treadmill.
  8. Wish I had music or metronome to set the pace.
  9. (a bicyclist on the sidewalk zoomed past me) On second thought, better that I have no music so I can hear what's going on around me.
  10. (passing car honked me for no reason) But then music would drown out those honks and make me feel less self-conscious.
  11. (about 20 minutes into the run) I can do this without music.
  12. (an elderly woman at the bus stop smiled & said hi; I waved back) It's kinda nice to be engaged in the surrounding during the run instead of being isolated with the earbuds / headphones.
  13. I smell poop.
  14. I see dog poop.
  15. Maybe I should bring along plastic poop bags next time.
  16. Slow down if you have to but don't walk.
  17. HR only at 155, I can do this; speed it up.
  18. Almost done. Just another block.
  19. Oops. Wrong turn.
  20. There's my car.
  21. Made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment