Saturday, November 21, 2009

C25K W7D2 - Falling for Outdoor Running

My wonderful sister took me home today, no thanks to my Focus. My brother-in-law thinks it's the battery and will take a look tomorrow.

Other than the car problem, the evening turned out very well. I got home in time to squeeze in a run for W7D2. I mapped out a 2.6 mi run yesterday --- nothing special, no breath-taking scenery, just the sidewalks around an urban neighborhood. But you know what, I had a great run. I'm falling for this outdoor running business, don't think I can go back to running around the indoor track. Don't get me wrong, the track was a great learning place where I did not have to worry about traffic and can use the podcast to time the intervals. But now that the runs are one non-stop run, I had no need for the podcast. I found an unexpected but wonderful joy in running without earbuds / music. I ditched the music when I ran outside due to safety concerns but now, only after 2 runs, I find myself preferring it that way. Maybe that will change when I increase the distance and it gets boring after an hour. For now, 30-45 minutes of allowing myself to think about the day and take in the surroundings are just about perfect.

Back to the run. I was able to run the 2.6 mi non-stop. The pace was slow and it took me 32 minutes to finish the run --- 12:19 min mile pace. Heart rate averaged at 161 bpm, max at 171. I was not out of breath and finished strong.

The Tech 4o watch underestimated the distance to be 2.4 mi. I continued my experiment and fine tuned the stride length from 31 to 34 inches. Hopefully, I'll get the setting close enough soon.

Some thoughts during today's run:
  1. Hope it's just the battery with the Focus.
  2. If not the battery, need to get it to the repair shop on Monday.
  3. Hope Focus will be ok overnight in the parking lot.
  4. I think there's a slight uphill slope on this block.
  5. Mattress by the curb with "FREE" sign. Hmm. Tempting.
  6. Amazing how easier today's run is compared to the last one just 2 days ago.
  7. I'm liking this.

1 comment:

  1. Once you are hooked on outdoor running, it is really tough to go back indoors!

    I will be trying to run outside most of the winter. As I'm in Minnesota, this could prove to be interesting!

    Good thing I'm a true Scandinavian type...I prefer the cold weather, and do much better with the cold than I do the heat.

    Enjoy your outdoor running!

    I do agree with you about the music. Sometimes, it really is nice to be in tune with your surroundings and really experience the moment. I like music as well as the next person, but, it also has the effect of essentially removing you and seperating you from your environment.

    Well...THAT was long-winded!

    Again, enjoy the great outdoors! You'll never want to go back!

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete