Thursday, October 1, 2009

4 Weeks to 1 Mile

I want to be a runner.

Not sure where the idea came from. I've always admired athletes and artists. I tried to be an athlete but just did not have the competitive streak in me --- tried basketball in junior high, tennis and badminton in high school. Didn't work out. Tried art and music, have the drawing kits, the woodcarving kits, had the flute and guitar --- but couldn't seem to eek out any drop of talent.

So I decide I'll be a runner. Not a competitive runner, 'cause we all know how that would turn out. But a runner for myself. Something just for me. Not for my family. Not for clients. Not for patients. For me. Though I guess all of them will benefit from a healthier, happier me.

So I bought the 4 weeks to 1 Mile podcast from Amazon for $3.96 --- may well turn out to be the best $4 I've ever spent (Edit: this was before I learned of the C25K program but I'm still glad I started with this one because it was an easier start).

I did the first day today:
Week 1: 45 sec. of running alternated with 2 min. of walking; repeat x4
45 seconds did not seem that long but I was out of breath after each interval. I had downloaded the mp3 into an old SanDisk mp3 player; it worked well enough. I finished the workout out of breath but not like I'm about to die.

A good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment