Tuesday, December 1, 2009

C25K W8D3

I really like my Tech 4o watch. It took some fine tuning but after the second adjustment to the stride length, I think it's pretty accurate for a non-GPS device. Tech 4o got the mileage at 2.83 miles, compared to the 2.82 miles from the map.

I head out early this morning for the 2.8 mile W8D3 run. It's a route around my parent's home in OC. It was cold this morning (for me) so breathing hurts a little at first. It wasn't until mile 2 that breathing was easier and the legs were moving smoothly. I found myself leaning forward at the waist and had to make a conscious effort to tilt my pelvis and lean from the ankles.

If only I can start feeling how I feel at the last quarter of the run earlier in the run, that would be great! I was worried about running this morning since it was the shortest time between runs since recovering from my knee pain. I ran the 5K the night before last so was worried it was too soon. But it was the few chance I have to run in the morning so I took it and hoped for the best. It worked out well.

Time: 33.41
Distance: 2.82 mi
Steps: 5127
Pace: 5.02 mph (11.57 min / mi)
Min HR: 80 bpm
Ave HR: 161 bpm (89% MHR)
Max HR: 168 bpm (93% MHR)

The wiring in my reflective armband got too bent (stuffed in my gym bag) so the blinking red lights are malfunctioning. May have to get a new night light for the late night runs. At least the armband is still reflective.

I felt good at the end of the run and know I can do the 3 miles in week 9. I plan to make it 3.1 miles because I like the way 5K sounds :) The trick is getting through the first 1.75 miles --- everything is so difficult those first 20 minutes; breathing and strides are labored. Then, as if a switch is thrown at 2 miles, everything comes together and the rest of the run is almost effortless.

Hopefully, those struggling 20 minutes dwindle with time and training.

Found another newbie runner to follow for inspiration (and sympathy!). In addition to marshmallowrunner and runningman, there's now runnoobrun. I still check in the C25K forum but try not to so often because it tends to eat up the time and I don't get any work done. Selecting some blogs to follow helps cut down the web-surfing procrastinating time.

No comments:

Post a Comment