Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cat's in the Cradle

Danika starting early on her college fund.

I don't have kids (the 2-legged kinds) and don't really plan on having any. I have nothing against kids; just know that I'm not up to that commitment.

Love my nieces and nephews to pieces :). Actually, I love most kids --- as long as they are OPKs (other people's kids).

Danika reminded me why I love kids --- and why I don't have any.

I try to spend time with her after work. She would ask me to play with her while I'm eating dinner. Sure, honey, I'll play with you after dinner. But only for a little bit, ok? I still have work to do.

While I'm at the computer, she wants to read me a story. OK, hon, can we make it a quick one?

She wants to play tea party. Sure, hon, but make it quick.

You see, I thought I was being a good Auntie. Playing and spending time with her. Making time in my schedule for her. Then it dawned on me. That's no way for a kid to grow up. She should grow up knowing that she is an important part of your world, not some responsibility that you have to squeeze in between your work schedule or social life.

Earlier tonight, it was freezing in our house. I was working at the computer, shivering in my Snuggie (yes, I have a Snuggie) when Danika walked by. I grabbed her and said, "Brrr, it's cold. How about a hug to warm us up?"

She smiled sweetly and replied, "OK, but make it quick."

She's not even 4 years old yet.
The things they pick up from us.

I gave her a quick hug and let her go.
Cats in the Cradle played in my mind.

See why I don't plan to have kids? I feel this bad when she's my niece; imagine if I have kids of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment