Monday, February 1, 2010

Re-Focusing on Running

I have not had a chance to blog about my running. To be honest, I have not done that much running since New Year's so there was not much to report. I ran about 5 times after New Year's, most of which were in the second week of January.

I don't know why I suddenly lost the urge to run --- stopped lacing up after work. Runningman was kind enough to check in on me recently. He made me think and I realized that part of the fizzle was because I stopped reading the running blogs. You see, I am a relatively new runner. Running is not second-nature to me (yet). I have to think and focus on it, otherwise, other more pressing things in life will push it aside. Reading about running helped keep it on my mind.

When I temporarily stopped reading blogs as a way to gain more time for work projects, running faded out of sight. I became a Monday runner, running only once a week. I still enjoyed my runs --- when I finally got out there.

So I pruned my reading list and will refrain from reading every blog; maybe just skim the highlights and skip the posts that I don't relate to --- i.e. I don't run with music so why do I still read posts about Music Mondays, etc...?

I am slower (if that was even possible!) but am thankful that I can still run a 5K. I can feel the difference (not good) compared to my 5Ks in December. Worried that I will eventually lose all I gained since my C25K days several months ago, I am re-focusing on my running again.

I had modeled my running plan after the One Hour Runner, using distance instead of time. I was on week 2 when I stalled. I am going to restart from the beginning since I want to be "comfortable" with 5Ks again before upping the distance.

So for this week, I plan to run three 5Ks (3.1 miles), or any combination of runs to total at least 9 miles. I was late this morning and only ran 2.2 miles.

7 more miles to go for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment