Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brushing Dog's Teeth - Rehearsal

We've been thinking of doing some short videos on pet care. Elaine is turning out to be quite cooperative for my crazy schemes. The problem is that she is not that well-behaved with other people. You have to meet her to believe me :) --- completely my fault; never really socialized her after the trainer for her puppy class told me to consider private training since other puppy owners may not feel comfortable with a pit puppy. I know, crazy but that was almost 8 years ago when the anti-pitbull sentiment was prevalent. Anyway, I managed to convince the trainer to let us stay with the class. But we had to be off to the side :( and none of the other puppy played with Elaine.

I probably should have pushed harder to socialize her but what's done is done. She is great with me and the staff but really would just behave with me.

Anyway, what does all that have to do with videos?
I can't have someone operate the camera! Elaine turns into a misbehaving crazy maniac with other people around. So I figured a way to use a tripod and am playing with different ways to record stuff.

Here's a "first take" on brushing her teeth. I'm just trying to get an idea on where to place the camera and how to position ourselves, etc. Guess we have to figure a way to do close-ups on the teeth. Maybe Elaine will be good with Elias behind the camera.

Note the last part of the video when Elaine gobbles up all the treats on the bench as soon as I turned my back!

3 comments:

  1. LOL! She steals those treats like a pro. My dogs hate getting their teeth brushed and fight it with their tongues, mouths, and psychic powers. I wish they would be calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll try to do some tips and training videos but pugs are one of the more challenging breeds for teeth brushing. I use the hand over muzzle technique to lift the upper lips and control the head --- guess you know how that's not going to work with your pugs' face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toe nail clipping and brushing teeth are the pugs two most hated things. Well, I guess that's the price you pay for all the cute they provide.

    ReplyDelete