Monday, May 18, 2009

Rusty

March 19, 2002
The day I first met you.

Your dad carried you in
All 12.7 pounds of you.
You were only 8 weeks old,
Long legs sticking out every which way.
Your mom smiling,
Looking on lovingly.

I wondered if it was too soon.
A month earlier,
I met your older brother --
Bear or Baron
As we also knew him.
We had to say good-bye to Bear
Just days before you came along.

Too soon? Who knows?
I just know
You brought smiles
Back to their faces
And joy to their days.

You also brought a few gray hairs
Not only to them, but to me, too!
Demodex
Allergies
A skin mass called histiocytoma
Ear infections
Skin infections
And more ear infections

Remember when Samantha came along
And gave you kennel cough?
Oi!

Then you had to decide
To repeat everything
Two years later ---
More allergies
Demodex again
And another histiocytoma
You must have liked these
Histiocytoma
As another one came
In twenty-o-six.
Luckily,
No surgery needed.

You hurt your paw last summer.
That was crazy
With both you
And Samantha limping around.
We got you through that
Then came the weight
And thyroid issues.

And who can forget
The worry over
The numerous growth removals.
You were the Patchwork Kid
With checker boards
Across your body.

As the years passed,
And Amanda and Dylan
Came along,
I knew you were getting older
But to me,
You were still that gangly pup.

So much over the years,
We overcame it all.
So it's hard to believe
We won't see you this fall.

I'll always remember the last time
Your dad was able to carry you in -
At 6 months old,
You were over 70 pounds.
You were their big baby.

And I remember that terrible day
When they returned from your training camp.
That was a disaster.
Your mom was in tears
Over what the trainer had said.

You were well-loved,
Let's not say spoiled.
What was that all about --
Not letting your parents
Clean your paws?
And being picky with your food?
But only with the diet food,
Not with McDonald's
Egg McMuffins.

I was so proud of your folks
When you shed those pounds.
I was proud of you for
Finally learning to stand
For us to trim your nails.
You could have easily
Thrown us around
With your strength and size.
But you never did --
Well, maybe only once or twice.

Your years with us were far too few,
But we know they were filled
With unconditional love.
They would do
Whatever they could
To keep you here with us.
You know that.

But they love you
Too much to keep you here
If it means
Pain and unhappiness
For you.

They had to make
A difficult decision
To let you go.

It was an unselfish,
Loving decision ---
For you.

I hope in time,
Your mom will forgive herself
For having to make that decision.

May your family
Find peace and comfort
In the many
Loving memories of you.

You may be gone
From this physical world.
But you touched our lives
And will live on in our hearts.

May 18, 2009
The day we bid you farewell.

1 comment:

  1. That is so touching... I still vividly remember when my previous cat died. February 18, 2007. I cried for a week, figured I would be over it soon, but even after more than two years, I still miss her from time to time. It really is like losing a family member. :(

    ReplyDelete