Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

My father brought the flag out for me last night. I almost dropped it as I reached overhead to mount it on the roof.

I wish I can just remember those who gave their lives for us.
Celebrate them.
And not think of the sad reality that they are needed in the first place.
I wish I can go through today without shedding tears.
Oops, too late.

Disagree all I want about the politics and whatfors.
To give me opportunities and keep me safe,
There are men and women out there
Doing what I can't, won't, nor want to do.

Willingly, knowingly, or not,
They are fighting for me and you.

The recent wrongs and atrocities,
Committed in the name of our safety,
Makes me shameful and angry.
But still remains this ever present fact -

There are men and women
Dying for our countries.

Our actions and beliefs
Are not without consequences.

We need to remember
Some would say.

Yes, but I still don't like
Memorial Day.

1 comment:

  1. It really is heart breaking when you think of not only the soldiers who have fallen, but the families involved and the lasting emotional pain of knowing that the son, daughter, brother or sister they once shared lives and memories with for so long is no longer with them. That is not mentioning the shattered civilian families residing in the countries where the wars take place. It is so easy to be desensitized by how the media reduces people, individual lives, to mere numbers so much so that anything less than a dozen deaths is no longer considered news worthy. Memorial Day... it's a very sad day indeed.

    ReplyDelete