Monday, October 17, 2011

No-Bake Oat Bars

No-Bake Oat Bars
These turn out so delicious, I'm not just eating them for breakfast!
My inspiration for these bars was the breakfast cookie from Fitnessista.  Eating the cookie off the plate with a fork was not working for me.  The convenience of grabbing a bar from the fridge on the way to work motivated me to try wrapping the "dough" in plastic wrap before letting it "set" overnight in the fridge.  Works like a charm.

I need to measure the ingredients next time.  I've been eyeballing it until it gets to the right consistency --- not too thin, not too dry, just right so it can be shaped into bars.

Steel cut oats (oatmeal will probably works)
Cinnamon (or for this season, pumpkin spice!)
Salt (I leave this out if I use salted nuts in the mix)
Protein powder (I have some leftover hemp protein powder that worked well)
Nut butter (almond, cashew, even regular peanut)
Really riped bananas (I call this the not-so-secret ingredient)
Almond milk (guess regular milk would work but I haven't tried it)
Mix-ins (dried fruits, trail mix, etc...)

Instead of spreading them on a plate or bowl, I spread them onto clear plastic wrap and shape them into individual bars. Refrigerate overnight and, voila, delicious single servings of oat bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment